105 transmission flush?

I have a transmission out of a '71 Berlina that has been sitting for ~8 years. Last time I drove it, my recollection is that it shifted well and would be operational for reuse. I'm about to reinstall it, and am replacing the front and rear oil seals. When I drained the oil there was sludgy goop at in the settling areas, and when I removed the bellhousing to replace that seal, I saw more sludge. The stuff is slowly draining out, but I'm wondering if there is a SAFE way to "flush" the trans while out of the car. I've thought of putting in a quart of kerosene and shaking it around to loosen up and dissolve the sludge, but sure don't want to muck up the bearings by splashing grit in them while at the same time washing away the protective residual oil on bearing surfaces.
I also do not want to split the case and wipe it clean. Finally, I'm not sure this is really a problem - the sludge is at the bottom - aren't they designed to accommodate such natural contamination?

Any suggestions or experience??

Thanks, //KCT