Berlina Steering Box (Bermann) Tightening

First of all thanks to all replied to question about tightening the
steering box on my Berlina.

Just a recap...I had quite a bit of slop in my steering. To fix this
there are two methods depending on what type of box you have (ZF or
Bermann; Bermann being most common). I have a Bermann and this is what
you do:

Pop the hood > grab your ratchet w/ a 13mm socket > locate the top of
your steering box > look for a small oval shaped plate held down by two
13mm bolts > remove these bolts > under the plate you will find some
thin metal shims & a spring > remove one, two or three shims (the more
you remove the tighter the steering) > replace plate, bolts & tighten >
take car for test drive > repeat if needed.

Note: There are two paper gaskets, one directly under the plate and one
on top of the steering box (the shims are sandwiched between the
gaskets). You'll want to leave these as they keep the oil/grease from
goozing out.

I ended up removing all the shims (I had 5 of them) and leaving the
gaskets. This worked amazingly well and took all of 10 minutes.

Damian

Damian Magista
72 Berlina <-- Tight Steering
87 Milano <-- still wounded