Special bits

Arno Leskin asked in #356: "Can your neighbor redo the infamous molded
door panels from the 75-76 Alfetta Gt?  As far as I know, these have
never been reproduced."

And in #357 Bernie Bennett replies: "Are they 'infamous' because when
you take them off the door to paint the car they shrink and are
difficult to refit? <g> Just reread that last sentence. Make that 'real'
difficult to refit!"

**********

First the guy next door doesn't do molding, just has a good source. I
don't think removing the rubberish door panels on the early Alfetta GT's
causes them to shrink (unless one leaves them off for many years and /
or leaves them in the sun for a long time.

Since they are a one piece molding, there'd be nothing left after
stripping the 'outer cover' and padding.

Mind you (if you haven't already figured this out) I have pretty much
(mentally) spent the 10 mil (after taxes, etc.) I'll be getting any day
soon now after I win the CA lottery.

To do it right (but not original) I'd (I will) do a variation on the
door panels which I had fabricated for a client's '73 Spider:
http://www.alfacybersite.com/BR73AlfaSpd.html.

Yeah I know I've mentioned them a lot, but will admit I'm quite proud of
the way they turned out. To digress...recently I received an email with
the subject heading: "Oh dry up." Perhaps it was meant in the same vein
as someone saying, "Oh you slay me." But doubt it. I really don't intend
to bore, maybe offend a little, but at least be of some help (and be
helped).

So...to repeat: The seats and door panels were made of a combination
solid and perforated leather with smallish but high quality mid / high
speakers behind the perforated leather just aft of the window winder
handles.

I'd do the same for the Alfetta GT, but following their molded design.
I'd use the arm rests from either the later Alfetta GT's or ones from
later Spiders. Haven't figured out what I'd do for the rear panels below
the B pillars.

Since I'd still have a few bucks left, I'd then have the dash covered in
leather and hand stitched around the tach and center instrument cluster.
Safe to say the 'fasten seat belt' and 'slow down' lights would
disappear. Oh yeah, if reasonably dooable, I'd tilt the center cluster
about 12 degrees toward the driver's line of sight.

So Arno, the answer is,"No."

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA