steering box

I've seen suggestions of putting axle grease in the steering on Spiders,
Berlinas, etc.
I know mine is leaking so I would like to do this. My question is, how do
you fill the box with grease.
As soon as you start pumping it in the top end will fill and block the
inlet.
Should I cover it up and drive around until the heat from the engine
compartment softens the grease
causing it to ooze down and make room for another squirt and repeat as
necesary until the box is filled?

Dave Partridge
76 Spider
"Free advice is worth what you make of it."