Re: Non-starting Alfetta

Jeff mentioned that his Alfetta refuses to start when hot.  I had the same problem on my fully restored 76 Alfetta Gt returning from the National Convention last July.  It had never done this before in 7 years of ownership.  The first time I got no response from the starter or any other electrical widget.  I got the battery brush out and cleaned the connections, and it fired right up.  That may have been either due to the fact that the car cooled off or from the better connection.  It happened again at my next gas stop, but this time I had lights etc but no starter.  We push started it and made it home to Phoenix without incident.

I replaced the battery and the starter and have had no reoccurrence of the problem, even in the Phoenix summer heat.  The old starter was drawing a huge current (pretty worn out), and with the battery in the trunk (long way for the current to go) and the high temperatures (more resistance) probably were the factors.  I was also told by the local Alfa wrench that some Bosch starters have a tendency to not work when hot, but are fine after they cool down.

Make sure that the replacement starter was properly rebuilt and is not drawing too much current, that your battery is fresh and has a high capacity rating, and that your battery and starter cables are not compromised in any way.

Good Luck,

Arno Leskinen
President, Arizona Chapter AROC
115