alternator

>hi all,
>

>the woltage gage on my 164 is going on the fritz - sometimes it indicates
>normal charging; other times, it shows severe woltage drain - down almost
>to 0v.  sometimes, it's in-between.  when this happens, it's clear there's
>a problem, as other warning lites come on - ie: abs & oil pressure
>lites... as soon as the woltage goes normal, these lites go out.  when
>headlites are on, this seems to exacerbate the problem, but not always.
>

>so, do i need a new alternator, or new brushes for it, or??  if i need
>brushes, etc, any clues as to where to find 'em, part #'s, etc?  i think
>my prior squealing noises i was hearing were the alternator not the
>tensioner bearing, as the noise has all but disappeared, now the woltage
>issue has regularly appeared.  except sometimes the noise comes back, but
>only when the system starts charging, after it's been discharging...

Dug,

It's a plot... I have gone through 2 alternators in the fleet this year.
First the 164 truck... it went wacky and was charging all over the place,
told it was a bad diode.
Hit the reliable used 164 collection and found a plum the just needed brushes.

Happy Happy, until Sofia the One Lap wonder got the idea that this action
gains attention, and Poof! another one bites the dust, just no charge at
all. New VR and still nothing. So the used collection is getting smaller
and smaller.... i might actually have to buy one soon!!!

Eek!

Have it rebuilt or buy a reman unit. Swap is a PITA, really bad. Take out
the headlight for access...

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA