Checking manual transmission oil on 24V 164 - a tip

Hi all,

Well, I sold my '94 164LS via eBay (expect the new
owner to join the list shortly). In doing a final
check on the car to make sure it is ready to make the
trip from the SF Bay Area up to Oregon, I decided to
check the manual transmission fluid level. My
understanding was that most have done this by jacking
up the front of the car, removing the left front wheel
and wheel well liner and reaching in for the dipstick.
However, some have suggested that this does not
provide an accurate reading as the car will be tilted
back when jacked up (for those of us who aren't lucky
enough to have their own lift).
What I did was the following: I removed what I am
guessing to be the PCV system hoses from behind the
intake plenum, I removed the throttle cover off the
plenum and disconnected the gas pedal cable,  I
removed the upper and lower halves of the airbox
(note: must unclip the electrical connections from the
AFM), and then reached in through the space created to
get the dipstick. Doing this allowed me to gain a
completely accurate reading without having to jack up
the car, remove the wheel, etc. Overall, I think it
takes less time and provides greater accuracy.
The dipstick is still hard to locate (it helps to sort
of climb on top of the engine to look straight down),
and space is still tight (the fuel hoses are a bit of
an obstacle), but ultimately, it may be an option to
explore the next time any of you need to make this
check. (One caveat: I am not sure how much of this
applies to 12V cars versus 24V like mine). Of course,
putting it all back together is a reversal of removal.
Regardless, this will likely be my last post to the
digest for a while as I will be signing off until
another Alfa comes my way (Always Looking For Another,
after all). I may show up at some Delta Sierra
activities in my Spitfire (sacrilege, I know!) to
catch up with some of the many friends I've made
during the past few years of Alfa ownership. Thanks to
all for their help over the past couple years, and
many more happy miles of motoring in your Alfas!

Cheers!

Adam
'94 164LS (for 4 more days)
'70 Triumph Spitfire Mk3