Won't start when engine is hot....(Alfetta)

I'm hoping someone on the digest can help me with
this one.
For some time now, my '79 Alfetta will not start
when the engine is hot.  Around town - never a
problem.
Cold start - never a problem.  However, if I'm
driving on the freeway and I stop - say to get gas
or something, when I go to restart it, I get
nothing.  Lights are all up along with
radio/fan/other electrical, but the starter
doesn't turn at all.  If I sit and wait anywhere
from 15 - 40 minutes, it'll start up again on the
first try.  I've taken it in for this problem
several times, and my mechanic cannot seem to
duplicate it in the shop.  His generic answer has
always been that the starter is old and on it's
way out.   I had decided to keep the starter until
it completely died, but after nearly a year of
this behavior I could no longer stand it.   So, I
bit the bullet and replaced the starter.  The next
day, wouldn't you know it, it happened again!
So, I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be.
The mechanic says it's possibly still the starter,
but I can't believe that I'd have two starters
with the exact same malfunction - right??
Has anyone experienced this or knows what I should
look at next?   I've checked all the wiring,
cleaned/tightened  grounds, have a newish battery
with good clean and tight terminal connections,
what am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any and all
thoughts/suggestions.

Jeff Barhoum