Re: Don't believe this applies to Alfas -

Biba's gearbox question elicited two "Cotal" answers and one "Wilson" (from
the venerable Bill Schafer). The Wilson box seems to have been mainly British,
introduced in 1930 on a ferociously complex sleeve-valve V12 Daimler, and last
used in cars by Armstrong Siddeley in the late fifties. I found references to
its use on Crossley, Riley, the MG K3, and (ta-ta!) Whitney Straight's 8C-3000
Maserati - not quite Alfa, but respectable. It was also used on WW2 armored
(or armoured) vehicles, and on busses and trucks.

I'm fairly sure I have seen references to use of the Cotal on some British
cars, (or at least British-owned), possibly including modified cars (which the
Straight Maserati almost certainly was) but I believe most were on Delage,
Delahaye, and Bugatti, all of which had secure niches among British
enthusiasts.

Can't wait for Welty's cars offtopic digest. I've got nothing against
discussions of religion and politics, but have been finding the present
offtopic digest stultifying, with only occasional exceptions. As always, YMMV
-

John H.