Don't believe this applies to Alfas

Do believe Richard is on to something regarding his proposed
cars@domain.elided. However, assuming it is not up and running - what is
the name of the 30's electro / mechanical transmission?

A friend just sent me a photo of the shift lever on a Delahaye asking if
I'd ever heard of these cars (yes) and thought the shift lever was very
cool.

To impress him I was going to give him the name of the gearbox, but my
Delahaye listing in my automotive encyclopedias doesn't mention the
gearbox.

So I turned to the Cord listing and they mention the gearbox but imply
it was made specifically for Cord (and wasn't very successful).

Interesting that the Delahaye's shift lever is on the left (a left hand
drive car) and has numbers 1 thru 4 (apparently they didn't / don't have
a reverse?).

The Cord's is on the right and definitely shows a R. Perhaps that was
the problem - including a reverse on these transmissions (happy face).

I gather (what I'll refer to as the European version until you set me
straight) was quite heavy but was great for racing (when they worked) as
one could preselect the gear before going into a corner, then quickly
dip the clutch when wanting to change down (or up).

Were any ever installed on Alfas? I don't recall reading about any of
this 'type' being installed on anything but US, British, and French
cars.

Sort of the grandfather / father of Ferrari's Formula 1 paddle shifters
/ transmission (which are obviously damn reliable)?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA