Re: Americans don't understand F1!?

> And F1 MUST compete for a piece of this TeeVee
> money to survive (remember Bernie Ecclestone)!

F1 doesn't have any problem with television revenue as far as I know.  To
the best of my knowledge, they are not in any danger of failing due to lack
of television licensing revenue.  Quite the opposite, I believe.  Up until
this new deal with Speed Channel, the reason for the lack of television
coverage in the US was due to the fact that no network would pay the
astronomical fees that Bernie is charging.  And I wouldn't either.  The
viewership here is paltry in the extreme.  No viewers, no advertising
revenue.  No advertising revenue, no coverage.

So I don't think it's accurate to say the "F1 must compete".  It's a
quintessential "chicken and egg" scenario.  Without fanatic viewers, there's
no coverage, but without coverage, there's no chance to build fanatic
viewers.

It's the same with soccer.  The biggest sport in pretty much every nation on
the face of the earth except one.  Ours.  Would you argue that FIFA (the
world soccer governing body) must "compete for TV revenue" if they "want to
survive"?

There is no one to blame for the lack of F1 coverage in the United States
except ourselves.  I personally do not believe the racing is boring, even
when it is somewhat processional (which the opening race of this season most
certainly was not) any more than I believe a soccer match between Man U and
Liverpool is boring if it ends in a 0-0 draw.  It's the spectacle and the
passion and the subtleties of everything that's happening during the event
that continues to draw me in.  I'm sorry that more American's don't feel the
same way.

Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC  28078
email: paul@domain.elided