Re: Euro cams

If your state's pollution police will let you get away with it, this is a definite go.
I too have a '73 and did the switch last year. The car had Webers on it when I
bought it, which was fine, but four things bothered me:

- uneven idle
- soft spots in the power curve
- overall hp
- lack of purity

The change helped all four, I have a much smoother idle now, much stronger performance at low an high rpm,
it just goes better, and I am pure.
I did it in conjunction with an in-car rebuild and strongly suggest that as a tactic because you can do other upgrades in conjunction with the cams -- including stepping to slightly higher compression pistons and installing a true Euro manifold and headers. You can use piston liner kits for 1980's spiders and they work just fine. I had a hell of a time finding the manifold and cams, I finally went to a very helpful dismantler in Australia (let me know if you want his email.) (BTW Defatta in Baltimore may
have stumbled into a cache of brand new Euro cams when it bought out the inventory of a Norwegian dealership a
while back.) The manifold solves the problem of air leaks with the 0-rings on the aftermarket conversion kits. That may solve rough idling, plus the installation just look more elegant. After market headers are available everywhere. I kind of wish
I had not gone to the ANSA exhaust, which eliminate the center silencer. It may reduce back pressure, but it is frankly
just too loud.

Jets can be a problem. My mechanic deferred to me to get them right just because it is easy to do but they can be hard to find.
He gave me a chart of the exact set used in the Euros. There are a couple good sources for jets but the problem is
that one (I think the emulsion tube) is no longer in production, so you have to approximate. If you need the exact
specs, let me know.
As for what the cams do technically, my understanding is that they are not really higher lift, it is just that the
exhaust-intake overlap is a bit longer. What that does is to keep the exhaust value open a bit longer while the
intake value is opening. This tends to suck more fuel in to the combustion chamber faster. It solves the
problem I always had with the Spica cams of running too lean or too rich and not being able to compensate by carb tuning.
The reason they quit doing it is the grind also has the side effect of dumping more raw fuel into the exhaust output
which is an environmental no no. I like this solution for street use because it does not increase lift. When I was
much younger I made the mistake of putting high lift cams in a '67 Lotus Elan. It ran real nice at 7,000 rpm,
but idled like a cement mixer.

So the bottom line is that I can say I am pure, and am running a true Euro '73, and it runs really nice.

--
John '73 Spider