RE: The front crank seal that won't

Since I know all of you are dying of suspense :-), I'll begin with the
ending; I was able to get the problem fixed.

Turns out that the inner lip of the crank seal got turned under in one spot
while I was installing it.  The crank was fine.  I was thankful for this
outcome for two reasons.

First, dealing with an improperly installed seal is a lot easier then
polishing a scratch off of the crank surface, even if it does reaffirm the
fact that I'm a bit of a bone-head. :-)

Second, I inadvertently found a problem that I feel could have cost me my
engine had I continued to drive the car.  When I took the timing cover off,
it appeared that the left cam seal was leaking as well; so I decided to pull
both cam sprockets.  The right one was OK.  On the left one, I found that
part of the outer surface of the seal had been scraped off as I drove the
seal in.  This was due to marks in the casting presumably from prying out
seals in the past.  I can't believe I missed this when I first installed the
seal.  The worst part is that it seems that the pieces of rubber sticking
out from the seal prevented the cam sprocket from seating properly when I
installed it because when I unbolted it, it slid off without having to use a
puller.  I think that had I not had a noticeable crank seal leak & continued
to drive the car, the left cam sprocket may have come off.

Anyway, all seems well so far.  I drove the car today; no signs of leaks or
other problems so far.  By the way, since I removed the cover to inspect the
crank, I installed the new crank seal with the cover off the car.  On the
one hand, this made for a much easier seal installation, but on the other
hand, I had to remove the tensioner & unbolt the A/C compressor bracket to
get the cover off.  Unless you're planning to take these pieces off the car
anyway, I'd say you're better off making a good seal driver out of pipe that
will allow you to install the seal with the cover in place.

Michael Keith
Houston, TX
'87 Milano Gold