Radio No Work

    Now that Spring has sprung, maybe temporarily, I'd like to diagnose
and fix the problem with the period radio-tape player in my 77 Spider.
Help, please.
    It looks to be the "original" radio -- installed by the dealer or by
the owner soon after purchase.  It's a Pioneer AM/FM receiver, cassette
player.  When I turn it on, the "stereo" light comes on, but it seems to
be telling me -- silently -- "what, you want sound now?"  Tape player
won't run and there's no reception, just a slightly audible blip in the
speakers if I have the volume all the way up.
    I'd like to get at the radio and check it over.  I have a
multimeter, but frankly, wouldn't know how to proceed.  I understand
there's a bit of a trick removing the console (Getting it over the
shifter?  Heater-defroster connections?) and getting in there.  I bought
the Spider CarDisc, but it doesn't seem to show me how the interior is
put together.  (I'd prefer not to yank on something, not knowing I'm
popping a riveted clip off of the underside of one of the side panels,
or whatever.  Been there.  Dad-burn it, Little Joe!
    Can anyone:  1) help me diagnose the radio no-work problema, and 2)
help me get at the dad-burn thing.

Doug
Sunny (today) Richmond V-A

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of dharris.vcf]