From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Henrik Hasager
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 5:14 AM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: FW: Gas in oil sump

All,

My 74 Spider has developed an interesting problem. I have just about as
much gas in the sump as I have oil??? The oil pin shows fluid to about 2
inches above the max mark. (Yes I have 7 qts of oil there, probably
along with 7 qts of gas).
Any ideas as to how this can happen, and what the fix is???

The car had been sitting about 2 months, and last Sunday the weather
permitted me to take it out for a short spin. I tried to start, but the
fuel pressure light wouldnt got out. I left it with the ignition on for
a few minutes to no avail. Went down to get a jerrycan of gas, filled
about 2-3 gallons on and the pressure came up and I could start it. I
took it out and after a few minutes white smoke was pouring out of the
exhaust. It started to run on something like 2 = cylinders and finally
gave in. I tried to restart it, but had to remove the coldstart solenoid
wire in order to do this. I limped it home not really firing too well (I
was less than = mile away).

I have done a compression test  175-180 psi on all four. I know I need
to dump the contents of the sump. Could it be a problem with the Spica
pump or with some valves or gaskets around the pump?
Is there anything else I need to check?

Thanks,

Henrik