Re: SB708 - NAC

I'm not trying to defend Sen Florez nor his bill, but add a little
background. Florez comes from the Fresno area of CA which now boasts the
worst smog in the nation and has no local ideas about how to reduce it. The
air is so bad in the San Joaquin valley that respiratory problems are
epidemic. Florez has circulated bills to clean up farm machinery and
regulate polluting farm activities. No one has dared cross the powerful farm
lobby before. He should be lauded for trying. As to his political ambitions,
yeah, he probably wants to be governor some day. But thats not necessarily a
bad thing. Coming from a migrant laborer family, he made it through Harvard.
He's not afraid to tackle powerful interests and has bold new ideas. SB708
isn't one of them. It looks like he proposed a string of anti-pollution
bills covering most bases and this was one of them. I think he will
sacrifice it to get cleaner burning diesels powered tractors, pumps, heavy
equipment, etc. The rest of you don't have to worry about this setting a
precedent unless you are farmers.

For those of you who don't know, the Central valley is home to as many
classic cars as Cuba. I don't recommend it for a vacation destination, but
if you find yourself there, enjoy the cruise nights, the cerviche and the
C&W music.

Dave
74 GTV