Re: alfa-digest V9 #320

Well, Tony, I AM the cynical sort, and I suspect very strongly, that this particular proponent of big government, the Right Liberal Democratic Assemblyman Florez, was fishing around, one day, for a cause with which to make political hay, and stumbled across the fact that not only were older cars exempt from smog checks, but, more importantly, they have no lobby organization to protect them. Add to that the possibility that Detroit will make a healthy contribution to the Swiss bank accou---- er the campaign fund of any legislator who champions any bills likely to get older cars replaced with new cars, and you have a perfect recipe and motive for such a bill. Remember, in politics if you want to know the "why" of ANYTHING, follow the money. Only the naive still believe that democracy in this country actually works as advertised.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 08:24 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:08:24 -0800
From: "Tony Sims" <simstony@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: SB 708

And reading through it, I just gotta wonder... why? Has there been a rash
of classic cars spewing massive quantities of smog in front of Senator
Florez's home?

As someone else mentioned, but it probably bears repeating -- odds are this
bill was prompted by the someone bringing it to the Senator's attention that
many less fortunate citizens of Kalifornia drive older cars that are not as
likely to be well maintained. Chances are, vintage car enthusiasts were
never considered.

Were I a cynical sort, I might think the senator has bigger political
ambitions, and he hopes a bill like this will curry favor with well-heeled
constituents, who want to get that smoky old pickup their gardener drives
out of their well-scrubbed white bread neighborhood.

Tony