I believe the difference is that the US has saved France's (collective) ass just a few times in the last 100 years, as good allies do, whereas Germany wasn't a US ally until NATO. (Technically, US forces were not allied in WWI, and acted independently from European troops.) Shouldn't most Americans expect that France should return that same commitment and support to the US? Don't the French recall what their policy of appeasement got them before WWII? Britain certainly knows better, although the US/UK relationship has always been more complex and committed. France seems perfectly content to present itself as a beacon of Peace, they just don't want to have to pay for it, but they're glad to share the credit. Also, I could be wrong, but I think the German situation is more one of economics, than politics, although outwardly it appears political.

Regards,

Dean

At 11:24 AM 3/8/2003, you wrote:

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:45:31 -0500
From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Peugeot

It's worth recalling that a top Peugeot exec said a year or so ago, "I
promise Peugeot will be back in North America by the year 3000."  I took
this joke to mean that it wasn't a current priority, but definitely a
long-term goal.

However, given the recent wave of anti-French bigotry going around this
country, I was beginning to think that might make a French carmaker
reconsider re-entering this market.  (Of course, I believe Germany took the
same position in that U.N. meeting, and you don't see asshole Americans
talking about boycotting German products...)

- -Joe