wheels bearings

Would someone like to explain to me what technique they use to get GTV6 (front) wheel bearings adjusted properly? I replaced mine again in December, and only put ~100 miles on it before I stored it for the winter, but the wheels felt like they had developed a little slop. I don't trust myself to do it purely intuitively, so I use the shop manual procedure, and I thought I got them right on the first try this time, but evidently I didn't.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Elliott