Re[2]: Falken Azenis

I just put a set of ES100s on a 92 BMW 3 series. Impressions, compared to
worn Bridgestone RE71s:
(Yes, not fair, but that's what I've got.)

- Pretty good dry traction. Somewhat better than the RE71s. No traction
issues for my street driving. No track time yet.
- Much better wet traction. The old tires would slip over the crosswalks
when accelerating from a light, the ES100s do not. Again, not a fair
comparison, but these seem to be better than the RE71s where when new. These
are also good in a cold (40 F) rain, where the RE71s were particularly bad
even when new.
- Tramline more over certain grooved pavements than did the RE71s. This is
generally not a problem, but there is one section of Hwy 85 between Los
Gatos and Cupertino (CA) where it is particularly noticeable. I think that
this pavement was just "micro-grooved" to reduce the noise to the
surrounding community, so this is a special case.

Overall I am pleased with the purchase. They were $73 + shipping at Tire
Rack for 205/60-15. One of the advantages of an older car is that 15" tires
are a lot cheaper than 17". And yet the car sticks well enough for me.

Enjoy.
Greg

>From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re[2]: Falken Azenis (was competition tires: Kumho vs Yoko)
>when they wear out at the end of this coming summer, i'll be evaluating
other tires. i hear the new ES100 >
>yokos don't have the dry stick of the old AVS-Intermediates, but that they
work well in the rain.