Garage Lighting (this, too, could go on for ever...)

For those of you who think "fluorescent shows up the flaws and details, and
sunlight does not", you might be interested in my experience.  I was trying to
match the paint in repainting my newest Honda motorcycle that I had recently
crashed.  I took a panel to an automotive paint dealer for their "computer
matching", requesting Imron paint.  Man phoned after a few days and said "We
can't match it in Imron, it is a PEARL paint."  I rushed to the garage,
switched on about 5000 watts of fluorescent, and examined the paint closely.
No pearl!

I called him back, and he said, "Look at it outside in the sunlight, or with a
bright INCANDESCENT light (a flashlight was adequate).  Result:  I could then
see the fine pearl flakes in the paint.  THEY WERE NOT VISIBLE UNDER
FLUORESCENT LIGHT.   On the other hand, after repainting the bike I can detect
different shades of red under the fluorescent that I cannot detect out in the
sun (sort of like the effect under mercury vapor street lighting).

Maybe your garage needs a combination of fluorescent and incandescent
lighting.  Certainly the color rendition would be more accurate.

Mr. Goose