Cable Conundrum

The saga continues...

Ok, so now I'm at the point of actually installing the top. First step, according to the factory manual, is to string the side cables (I got new cables... one of the old ones had been cut). Convieniently, the top came with a string through the cable... channel? ... that runs over the top of the window. I tied one end of the string to the anchor loop and then simply pulled it through.

But now I'm stuck. For the life of me I can't see any way to get the cable from the outside of the top to the inside of the top so I can connect it to the cable anchor. In the manual, there is clearly an eye-hole in the padding around the window which I assume is the point where you pass the cable through. I have no such hole in this particular top (manufactured by CROWN, purchased from Bruce's Parts Bin in NJ). Further, after having a second person look there appears to be no "secret passage" that we can find that might substitute for said eye-hole.

So what do I do? Is there a right way to create an eyehole? Some sort of fancy rivet that can be placed that the manufacturer of the top forgot? Could I have a defective top? I certainly can cut a hole through, but I've put in a lot of effort to do this "right", and don't want to screw it up now. It's really puzzling the manufacturer would be considerate enough to put a string for threading the cable and then not put a way to pass said cable through the top.

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider