Oil and Filters

I am by no means an oil expert. I do go long on the interval and have been a synthetic user for quite sometime. I have alternated on various vehicles from Amsoil, Redline, Mobile 1, and Valvoline. I prefer Mobile 1 because it is moderately priced and it is available everywhere.

One digester commented on not feeling comfortable due to the bypass on filters. I have used high-performance filters by Canton Mecca that do not have a bypass. The element is rated to filter smaller particles and because the filter element is larger, they claim that they can acheive a higher flow rate.

I've used the 6 inch filters on a Porsche 944, Alfa GTV6 and 164L. Unfortunely, the 6 inch filter will not fit my 164 LS. Canton Mecca makes a 3 inch for this application.

I especially like being able replacing only the filter element and not the entire filter housing. This was very convenient on the 944 considering the filter location.

Canton also claims that their filters have a longer life. I believe up to 25K miles (excluding the first change). With this claim you could change the oil and not the filter.

Just a thought.

Michael L. Robertson
MRobertson.ME91@domain.elided