Electric fan in Berlina

From: "Stephen D. Thompson" <thompsonlaw@domain.elided>
Subject: Electric cooling fan for 71 Berlina

Sorry if this has been covered.  As I am re-doing the motor in my 71
Berlina, I want to install an electric cooling fan.  Can someone advise me
on the size, and any certain make, etc. that is successful and economical
and a source for getting one?

I just installed one in the '73 Berlina I'm building.  I don't recall the
brand, it is a generic I got off eBay, and there are always several
available for about $40, new. I think mine is a 12" one, but it's not here
and today has been hectic.

It came with two sets of brackets which slip into slots on its edges.  I
used the L-shaped ones on the bottom with screws horizontally through the
lower radiator support.  On top, I used the ones with a captured nut which
allowed me to mount it with two very neat screws down through the top of
the radiator support.  It is flush up against the front of the radiator,
but I don't have to mess with it when pulling the radiator.

On the small debate about the merits of pushers vs. pullers, getting the
fan out of the engine compartment is a good thing, IMHO.  As Fred noted, a
large fan motor can partially block air flow, but I've had no trouble with
that in the Spider.  And when it is turned on, temps always drop to 180F,
right now.

YMWV,
Joe
Portland, OR