Retrofitting 71-74 bumpers onto a 78 Spider

Has anyone successfully converted a 75-82 Spider to the 71-74 style bumpers?
My brother is considering this for his 78, but wants first to know what he
is getting into. I have heard it is not a simple bolt on procedure, but is
it something that could be done with a little welding and perhaps some
additional hardware from a 71-74?

Many Thanks Indeed,
Jeffery Francom