Re: 164LS auto tranny problem Diagnosis Part 1

Graham:

Part 2 is read the Below referenced electrical diagnosis but first --

The service manual section Automatic Transmission diagnosis tree describes a problem "Impossible to engage the 2nd or 3rd speed or the Direct Drive D" (which I presume means transmission wont engage that gear not shift lever??? I don't see any other diagnosis which even sounds like what you describe:)

The Proposed diagnosis is Table E which has two steps:

E1 Speed gear insertion control cable check -- Check that the speed gear control cable is correctlly adjusted -- if OK goto E2
(Not adjusted correctly) -- Adjust the cable.

E2 Check the oil for correct level (Auto Transmission Oil Level presumeably) -- If ok -- " Should the fault recur, refer to the "WIRING DIAGRAM AND ELECTRICALDIAGNOSIS MANUAL" ; if the fault is still recurring, proceed to the replacement of the gearbox complete ass(embl)y.

(Oil level not OK) -- Top up to correct level with prescribed oil.

The "WIRING DIAGRAM AND ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS MANUAL" is facinating reading, we need to do the conversion routine talked about in the digest so you may read it yourself to understand how your transmission works;

but my quick rereading of pps. 236 and 237 indicates when second gear is engaged solenoid valves MV2 and MV1 are activated. When third gear is engaged MV1 only is activated and in Direct (Fourth) no solenoid valves are activated. So it is conceivable you might have a sticking MV1 or an problem which causes your electrical system to fail to deactivate the MV1.

The manual also says the"... MV solenoid valves have a typical winding resistance of aprox. 33.5 Ohm and an inductance of less than 500 mH."