re: 116 suspension tuning

At 3:06 PM -0500 2/20/03, Anthony White wrote:
I think I want to aim for an initial front negative camber of 1.5 degrees. On a 116 chassis, can this be achieved using the standard Alfa lower a-arm spacers used to adjust camber? Does anyone with a 116 car have any other suggestions for front camber? Or for front castor?
I think that will complete the first step.
For the second step, I have tracked down a pair of anti-roll bars from a 2.5 litre 75. I think that I'll install both front and rear with urethane bushes, and see what that does. I can see the potential for reverting to standard front anti-roll bar if I don't like the results.
Does anyone have any comment on any of the above mods? Alternative ideas, potential pitfalls? Any help would be appreciated.
If you just want to make the car tend more towards oversteer, the easiest thing you can do is dial in a little more castor.

I'd be cautious with the 75 swaybars. 75's have very small rear bars. I'm not sure about the 116 Giulietta, but I know on my GTV6 the stock front bar was the same size as an '85-87 2.5L 75, and smaller than that on a '88-91, but the stock rear bar is much larger than that on any 75. My assumption is that this was because the 2.5L 75 had power steering, so the factory used more caster and less rear bar to neutralize the handling (making the inside rear wheel less likely to come off the ground).

Swaybars aside, if you do what you're planning and stiffen the rear slightly by cutting the springs, you might find that the handling is precisely what you want. But in my experience, that chassis gives you a lot of control over the oversteer/understeer characteristic with the castor adjustment.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6 <--fastest one in Class D autocross at '01 convention