Re: 1750 Head Gasket R/R-- Looking for Tips

Ah hell, I screwed one up last year, so here's what I
did wrong.

1.  Dropped the chain tensioner shim into the engine,
after the lower pan was on.  Don't do that.

2.  Two people to remove the head makes short work of
it (except in Andrew's case).  One person is asking
for back pain.

3.  Check for all wires/hoses, the temp sender wire
tripped me up as I had overlooked it.

4.  And finally, I totally agree with Dean.  Get a NEW
high quality gasket, and might as well get the
kick-butt O-ring kit from Jon Norman while you're at
it.  Jon also mentioned that on older engines, you
need to add gasket sealer to the rear section as the
newer gaskets don't have glue/sealer there anymore.
And it will leak like a stuck pig without the sealer.
AMHIK.

5.  If you don't surface the head, make sure to clean
the head and block with super-fine steel wool and
acetone to make it surgically clean.

6.  I like to chase the threads on the head studs with
a die, and remove any corrossion from the studs, so
that hopefully the head will come off easier next
time.

I think that's it.  I'm down to about 3 hours start to
finish, on a head that was just reinstalled.  As they
say, it's always easier the second time!  Or third, or
fourth...

Cheers,
Ian Lomax
71 Spider