S2000 vs Spider - was Re: Ford Focus Rally

Tom asks:
> Speaking of cars other than Alfas, does anybody on the Digest own a
> Honda S2000?

I own an S2000, as well as an Alfa Spider.  I bought the Honda because
I was looking for a modern, reliable sports car rigid enough to enjoy
on less-than-perfect roads, with sufficient size and safety features
that I'd feel comfortable on the local SUV-laden roads.  The approach -
(relatively) light weight, high-revving, double-wishbone suspension -
a true engineer's car - seemed more Alfa-like than the German
alternatives (the Miata was too small).
The car is a delight to drive, though the performance is way beyond
any use on the local traffic-clogged roads.  Accelerating onto an
onramp, I tend to find myself slowing down to merge into traffic.
There's little point to the great 6-spd close-ratio box where I drive,
as you get up to speed in 1-2-3, and then you can cruise at 70 mph in
your choice of the top four gears!  The steering is the most accurate
I've ever driven; you point the car and it goes there, with no
correction.
However, it's no Alfa.  That supremely accurate steering does not
provide the tactile feedback that my 105/115 Alfas have - that feeling
that you are pressing the grooves of the XAS's into the road with
your bare hands.  The scream of the engine can be exhilarating, but
does not compare with the Alfa music.
As a daily driver car, or for absolute performance, the Honda is a
better choice,  but for a pleasure drive on a twisty country road,
the Alfa wins hands down.
Feel free to email me off-digest if you want more info.
Elie Spiesel
'76 Spider
'74 Berlina (RIP)
'01 S2000