REAR ride height (remove spring spacers!) on '84 Spider Veloce?

In a message dated 02/17/2003 12:13:25 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:16:18 +0930 (AUS Central Standard Time)
> From: "Paul Bayly" <thebaylys@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: REAR ride height (remove spring spacers!) on '84 Spider Veloce?
>
> How does cutting a spring make it stiffer ??.  Unless you lop the 'soft' end
> off a variable rate spring the rate of the spring should remain constant ...
> ..... shouldnt it ?
>
> Beatle
> Oz

       I forget the exact formula for spring rates, but basically it is
diameter of the bar and length or leverage.  A long lever (spring) makes work
easier (softer).  It is easier to comprehend if you think of what the spring
would do if it were unwound into a long straight bar.  Think of the coil
spring as a coiled torsion bar.  The diameter of the coils is not part of the
formula, except to calculate the length of the bar.
       And I see no reason not to cut the springs if you want the car to sit
lower and you want a bit of additional stiffness.  Do not take a torch to the
springs to collapse them and lower the car.  That leads to coil bind and a
broken spring will be the result.  Also do not use coil spacers to raise ride
height.  The coil spacer will also lead to broken springs, eventually.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City