RE : another top question & solvents

>>A few years ago when I installed a new top on my Spider I
>>used xylene, I believe.  Outdoors with gloves and goggles.  I
>>tried several solvents we had at work, IPA, acetone, and
>>maybe methylene chloride, but the one that worked
>>the best was xylene, I believe.  Then I washed it with detergent
>>and water.

Wayne,

i am glad to hear you took those precautions with the Xylene.
when i went to design school, Xylene markers were choice among us Transportation Designers. industry standard you see.
but they are thankfully going out of style.  that stuff is very potent
and toxic.  goes straight to the nervous system through your
skin and eyes and lungs.  it is a cumulative toxin, which means
your body will not dispose of it.  artists got sick very quickly using
those things indoors.  me and everybody i know uses alcohol
markers now.  the worst i have ever encountered was the solvent used in Polane paint.  very easy to spray and unbelievably tough,
but you really need Haz-mat suits with that stuff . . . no, seriously.
regular clothes and a filter respirator are not enough.  i wish i
could remember what was in it.

anyway, i would suggest sticking to the normally available stuff,
and taking proper cautions.
anyone try Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, or Bestine ( art supply store ) ?

dion fields
73 gtv
los angeles