NAC Big V8/brake lights

> I'm sure its a factor, but the big, low revving American cast-iron
> engine came out well before the automatic transmission. BTW, I contend
> that Automatics are the main reason for the traffic tie-ups and
> slow-downs that we have anytime are roads get even a little crowded
> here in the USA.
> Automatics, due to their torque converters give little or no engine
> braking. So a guy feels that he is a little too close to the car in
> front of him, he is forced to apply his brakes momentarily rather than
> lifting-off, because lifting-off does nothing to retard his speed. The
> guy behind him sees the first guy's brake lights come on, and not
> knowing whether this is just a touch or a panic stop, hits his brakes
> even harder until he sees that the brake application in front of him is
> just momentary, then he relaxes, but the guy behind HIM applies his
> brakes even harder, because the second guy's brakes were on longer than
> the first guy's. This multiplies back down the line until twenty-some
> cars back somebody (and everyone after him) has to stop. Outlaw
> automatics in the USA and traffic flow will improve by orders of
> magnitude (not a suggestion, by the way, just a statement of the effect
> of such a law).

Interesting theory.  I'd be inclined to think of the slushbox as a
contributing factor or even a result, rather than a root cause.  I think
most of the slowing on US highways is caused by the compromises made by
traffic planners and highway engineers, and the deliberate attempts by same
to use signals and traffic flow patterns to reduce vehicle speed.  This,
combined with a general populace that receives more training in parallel
parking than in vehicle control, nets slow, inefficient, frustrating traffic
conditions.

All along Hwy 26 here, timing lights were installed at the on-ramps, so only
one vehicle is released to the freeway every few seconds.  The state traffic
engineers told everyone this would improve merging, and reduce slowing on
the freeway.  In 5 years, it has helped not one bit.  Hwy 26 still crawls
most of the time, and half the people coming down the on-ramp still don't
understand how to pick a hole in traffic and ACCELERATE into the flow of
traffic at the prevalent speed.  Instead, they dodder down the ramp, then
BRAKE as they dodge into traffic, slowing everyone.

The other behavior I find puzzling and amusing is the apparent belief that a
car gets smaller at lower speeds.  There are a couple areas I pass through
in my regular route where structures are close to the road, which apparently
gives the impression that the road narrows.  Someone is always on the brakes
in these spots, gaining that extra few inches needed to squeeze through. . .

Tony
Portland, OR