Re: Another top question (no pushrod content)

Scott Johnson writes "In the "how-to" factory top R&R manual, it says to clean
the top frame using a "suitable solvent". There's probably 30 years of
accumulated adhesive on some parts of that frame, so I was wondering if anyone
out there had tips on just what a "suitable solvent" might be? Biba? :)"

Don't know what Biba would suggest, but 3M's Automotive Trade Division's
"General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" is intended "for removing adhesives,
silicone, wax, grease, tar, oil, and similar materials" and "will not harm
most thoroughly cured automotive paint, vinyl or fabric when properly used."
Part #08984 in the quart can, #08986 in the five gallon can. Best stuff I've
used on adhesives, although there are probably cheaper products that may do as
well, but I'm not about to run a double-blind test on one of MY cars. Any good
body shop supplier should have it; failing that Griot's has the quart cans for
about $15.

Cheers

John H.

Raleigh, N.C.