Re: REGULATOR/

On lxrdag, feb 15, 2003, at 17:43 Europe/Amsterdam, Ferdinando Di
Matteo wrote:

Jacob, if your alternator has abuilt in regualtor, it is really not
built in, it is mounted on the bck end of the alternator. It wouuld
have two wires going to it, a thick red a thin green.
The type with external regulator has wires attached to the alternator
with a connector on the other end to plug into the external regulator.
 Can you reas the name plate type on the Bocsh alternator?  Fred

Fred.

Thanks for your quick reply. My alternator indeed has a thick red wire
going to the battery + and a thin green which disappears into the loom
going through the bulkhead. My concern was that the thin green one has
a connector where it joins the rest of the loom, right where I would
have expected an external voltage regulator to be mounted to the
fender. With all the other half-assed repairs which some PO or other
has done to my car I wouldn't have put it beyond him to have simply
done away with the regulator when it stopped working.

However, your e-mail gives me some confidence that the regulator is
built in and I will check the numbers tomorrow when I go to get my baby
running. By the way, I checked the spares catalogue on the CarDisk and
I didn't see any alternators mentioned without an external regulator -
hence my question to the esteemed Digest.

Thanks again and good to be back.

Jacob Haagerup,
Rotterdam, Nederland
'75 GT 1600 Jr. M, 1.8