valve and ignition timing

I am rebuilding my 79 spider engine. I have timed the cams with a degree
disc attached in place of the flywheel, but the distributor is 180 degrees
out. The coupling on the end of the distributor shaft seems to prevent it
from being rotated through 180. Can I just rotate the distributor cap
through 180 or do I have to re-do the valve timing?

Thanks.

Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
73 GTV
79 Spider