buying used Alfas (was: opinion on 164 noise)

I find it fascinating that when buying cars, we all look for Alfas that have been serviced by 'reputable Alfa shops', but as soon as we get them, we do all the maintenance ourselves.

I guess it depends on what we're using them for, whether we ever plan to re-sell them, and whether they are likely to maintain much value.  It's something I've thought Porsche or Ferrari guys must just about loose sleep over -- are they throwing thousands of dollars in resale value away by spinning a spanner themselves?

regards,
Anthony