Re: Subject line vs. V number

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:16:40 -0500 "Daegrigg (Don)" <daegrigg@domain.elided> wrote:

> I notice that some replies to the Digest reference a volume and message
> number in the subject line.  Where does this come from.  I don't see it
> in messages I received.  'Not a big deal except it slows down scanning
> of new messages since you cannot tell what the message is in reply to
> from just the volume number, etc.

this is the volume and digest number for the collected (aka "digest")
version of the list. when you "just hit reply" to a digest, that's the
default subject.

it's nice when folks clip out the subject for the message they're replying
to and replace the generic one, but many don't do that.

note also that some mail readers have an "undigestify" command which
unpacks a digest into individual messages. if available, this makes it
easier to formulate a reply to a message buried in a digest. some of the
readers getting digest format might want to see if their mail reader can do
that.

richard