Re: Milano verde Twin Turbo wow - msleading hp #'s

On Wednesday, Feb 5, 2003, at 13:55 US/Pacific, Ian Lomax wrote:

ah yeas, but it's not how much HP you have, as when
you have it.  i bet the turbo has torque across the
board, whereas the tweaked verde will be a bit
peakier, and require more revving to keep it in the
fun zone.
Absolutely. The 'S' Cam addition alone (without porting and relieving, shaving the head, etc.) will yield +6 HP at 4000 rpm, +12 at 5000 rpm, +18 at 6000, and +24 at 7000 with NO increase below 4000. With the other mods, of course, the yield is much higher with as much as +48 HP at 7K (according to friend who's done it) available. But like the Honda, its all at the top.

don't get me wrong, i agree a verde can be made to go
very fast pretty easily.  my point is that quoting one
hp number is extremely misleading.
Well, the original poster quoted 250 HP from twin turbos, I merely mentioned that one could approach that without resorting to twin-turbos, which really shouldn't be used with high-milage engines. The specifics I didn't go into and you were right to shine a more focused light on the subject.

the honda s2000 has 240 hp, but it's all at 8k rpm.
Yes. That's the advantage of turbos, the power increase comes on at much lower RPMs with a much wider torque band.

ian "yes i know this subject has been beat to death
many times but i'm feeling feisty" lomax
No problem. I'll "get you back" tonight. :->

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

--- George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided> wrote:
The thing is that one can get almost that much from
a Milano Verde
without resorting to the complexity of twin-turbos.
The addition of
S-cams, a free-flow exhaust system, K&N air filter,
porting and
relieving, and shaving a few thousandths off the
head in order to raise
the compression ratio slightly, should get any good
3.0 liter 12-valve
Alfa V-6 to the 240 HP neighborhood. Much less
expense, less
engineering work, and easier on the engine.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Wednesday, Feb 5, 2003, at 05:52 US/Pacific,