why pack hubs full?

In the online discussion of packing wheel bearings, and a few offline
discussions, the issue of packing the hub with somewhere between a little
and a lot of grease has come up.  Why do that?  I have heard from mechanics
I trust that grease in the hub stays in the hub, and doesn't travel to or
from the bearings.  So what is its purpose?    I too have scooped several
pounds of old grease out of those locations, and have never replaced it to
that extent.  Am I blowing it?

Andrew Watry