RE: Intake temps and free power

Joe Martin Cantrell wrote:
> Light colors reflect heat, dark colors absorb it.  I'm wondering whether it
> would be worth painting my air box white, insulating it, and perhaps using
> reflective tubing for the intake pipe to the radiator support.

In fact, dark colours absorb light energy, and therefore become warm when they're in direct light, but they also radiate heat more effectively than light colours.  Anything that you want to stay cooler, as long as it's our of direct light, should be painted matt black.  This includes heat sinks, intercoolers, oil coolers, radiators.

Definitely don't paint your airbox if the reason is to keep it cooler.

Regards,
Anthony.