RE: Not just 2 choices...

[...] I'm of the mind that development and usefulness of the ICE reached diminishing returns a while back.  [...]Think laterally [...]

Internal combustion engines running on hydrogen.

I plan to build a Giulietta Spider with a hot 2 litre engine running on hydrogen (and with suitably lightened composite body parts to compensate for the 20% less power from a hydrogen engine) that I can drive for the next eighty years.  I'll start just as soon as service stations can deliver hydrogen on a regular and reliable basis.