Re: alfa-digest V9 #230

OK, this is not advice, this is MY take on this particular subject. The Montreal engine ain't all that great in street trim. It might have been a dynamite racing engine and a Tipo 33 "Stradale" would definitely find a home in my garage :-> But failing that, or the purchase by me of an actual Montreal, I'd say that if you want to do an engine swap, stick to the 3-liter V-6. Not only does it have more torque, but parts are easier to get and cheaper and the Bosch injection is a no-brainer while the Montreal's FI is a Spider's SPICA system X2. I've actually heard that a 2.5 liter GTV-6 and a Montreal are neck-and-neck performance-wise when running in tip-top order in spite of the fact that the Montreal engine is rated at 46 more HP. Do what you want, but the V-6 is, for my money, more practical and easier to keep running. Now if you were contemplating the actual purchase of a Montreal, I'd say go for it. Whatever else they may or may not be, they are sooooooooo '60's gorgeous.....

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Monday, Feb 3, 2003, at 15:21 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:15:00 -0500
From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
Subject: Montreal engine value?

It's probably a really bad thing to be thinking about, but I'm pondering the
task of putting a Montreal V8 into a Berlina. I know of a local Bay Area
engine that is complete with injection, but no exhaust, that would need
going through, for about $3,000. Anyone have an opinion on that price?
Seems a bit high to me, considering there have been bodily poor complete
Montreals that run for in the $6000 range recently. But it's also one of
those items that doesn't come up for sale much, so where else are you going
to find one? Any comment appreciated. Or anyone else got one for sale? I
realize such an engine swap might not be easy, smart, or recommended by
Consumer Reports.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register