Spider hand brake handle

I need to replace the hand brake handle on my 77 spider. I'm wondering what the best way is to get to it. It appears I would have to remove everything on or through the floor (seats, seat belts, etc) in order to lift the rubber mats for access. Is that the only way? Has anyone tried separating the boot around the handle from the floor mats?