Re: Ebay Questions

Don,
the most important (and often overlooked) currency on Ebay is "Feedback".
Researching feedback is really your best protection.
A good guideline is to only deal with a seller on Ebay who has good feedback,
and lots of it.
That way you can tell that the seller is oriented toward smooth transactions,
happy customers, good feedback.
You do have some recourse through Ebay to force a seller to deal fairly but
it is a huge hassle.
There are thousands of good Ebay sellers who are very willing to deal fairly
with bidders who will do the same for them.
If you want to minimize your potential for getting burned;
1) find the item you want
2) click on the sellers feedback link (the number right beside the seller
name at the top of the auction) Avoid sellers who have the little sunglass i
con next to their name.
3) read down the list of feedbacks. If there are fewer than fifty in the last
year or if there is any bad feedback, forget that seller all together.
4) if the seller passed the minimum feedback standard, click on the top
couple of auctions listed in the feedback list to see what this seller
usually deals in. This can give you a good idea if this seller knows anything
about what they are selling.
These steps should help you avoid getting burned. Ebay is a great market but
like any fleamarket, part of the cost is factoring in the occasional bad
transaction. I've been stung on Ebay only once (for just a little money).
When trying to buy car audio stuff, there are many many sellers (feedback
will steer you to the sellers who are interested in smooth transactions).
When you buy Alfa parts on Ebay the feedback guidelines get a little blurred
because you are often dealing with a seller who has very little history (ie.
some Alfa owner parting out a fetta he's had parked behind the garage for 12
years).
Lastly, there are some escrow services available on Ebay. I've never used
these, but they look very useful for the big purchases, they do charge for
the service.
I hope this is of some use to you Don.

Jim Oiler
1991 164L (carries lots of Ebay purchased Cameras and the like)