Ebay Questions

Greetings all,

I'm thinking about bidding on some audio equiptment either on ebay, or on another auction website( audiogon). I'm really apprehensive about putting out large sums of money to a private seller, without knowing of any recourse. Are there any ways to insure that I get the material sent to me , and that it's in good shape? I've thought about COD, paying with a credit card through Paypal( does fraud protection work here?)
B.S. suggests paying with a postal money order making it a federal issue if they skip town.

Any proven suggestions?

Thanks ,

Don Coulter
86 & 74 Spiders