Re: Crank seal surface repair

At 04:24 PM 1/30/03 +0000, you wrote:

<snip>
Which brings me to my question. On a crank, there is the surface where
the rear oil seal contacts. Sometimes, there is a groove worn in that
surface, assumably from dirt and the rear seal grinding away.

How deep of a groove before it becomes a problem?

And, how repairable is this condition?
I have repaired such flaws with a carefully applied and finished fill of JB Weld epoxy.
Get the repair surface clean with degreasing solvents, apply the JB Weld with a precision flat (raszor blade). After curing, finish repair with very fine wet sand emery paper 400+. Use small amounts and multiple iterations, just fill the imperfection, not the surround. I also use JB Weld to secure mucked up stud mount threads, fill mating surface pits or scars on all kinds of joints, pitting at the block-piston liner joint, and pitting in hydraulic cylinders. JB weld is very hard, heat resistant, and chemical resistant, and bonds well with metal. The key is proper surface clean & prep.

//kct, Powell, TN