Re: alfa-digest V9 #219

Thomas Moll said -

"Water is heavier than gasoline so it has a tendency to collect at the bottom
of the tank. This used to be a problem in locations with very cold weather
since it could freeze parts of your fuel system. I haven't actually had this
happen myself but standard practice where I grew up (Sweden) in the winter
was to add a bottle of 'carburetor alcohol' every other tank or so."

There's a product called "Heet," which I believe is pretty much what this stuff would be. It's commonly found in colder-climate parts stores, given that it still exists. It was part of the standard winter equipment Alaskan motorists carried in their trunks when I lived
there (along with the jumper cables, the entrenching tool, and the bag of Kitty Litter), and a half-can or so was routinely added to every fillup.

Friend of mine was on his way to Whitehorse, Y.T. one night when his Mini ran out of gas about a mile and a half from the next station. Pete had a quart can of lighter fluid and six cans of Heet, so he dumped those into the tank. It wouldn't start on the key, but luckily
he was at the top of a steep grade, and it bump-started okay. He said it ran like a sonofabitch, but only above 2500 or so.

Will