Re: De Dion...Diffs...and IRS

(Clears throat with as much gravitas as he can muster...i.e. not much)

Joe Elliot says "a sprung (fixed) differential is the defining
factor of an IRS.  I dare say that that's a fairly reasonable
definition."

I beg to differ yer honour. The only definition of an Independent Rear
Suspension must be defined by the suspension system itself and not the
transmission, the differential being a transmission component. IRS is what it
says it is...namely... a system where either wheel suspension can operate
entirely without any influence from another wheel. On this standard a De dion
does not qualify.

All the same, I have to admit that all of the British Leyland Hydrolastics and
Hydragas systems claimed full independent status, but were interlinked, front
to back on Hydrolastics,and side to side on Hydragas ( I think thats right)
and ditto the Hydraulic Citroens in their interaction...but I would say these
are the honourable exceptions that prove the rule. I was reminded of the
B.L.system whilst enjoying (once again) the sight of Basil Fawlty (John Cleese
to those who might not know Fawlty Towers) thrashing his non-starting red
Austin 1100 estate car with a branch as punishment. Sheer poetry!

Back to my studies, I have some exams next week....yeeuk!

Tim Hancock    Boston UK

164TS
164Super