Re: dry cell batt. question/ back seat fireworks

> Hey folks-- All this battery talk reminds me to ask if anyone has any
> good/ bad experience with the new style dry-cell batteries such as those
> from Odyssey (Hawker Ind.).  I'm intrigued with but slightly skeptical
> of  the claims for excellent  cold cranking amps and light weight  in a
> small spill proof , mount in any position, no fumes package.  I've
> purchased a couple  of these for work- related motorcycle projects which
> have worked out fine, but I haven't seen first-hand an automotive
> application.  I'd love to lose that great hulking , fuming ,corroding
> Interstate lump now residing in the back of my '74 GTV, and replace it
> with a smaller, lighter lump  which is more properly positioned and
> secured.

I've got an Optima dry cell in the trunk of my GTV, and Champion dry cells
(Optima licensed by Champion) in our daily driver Jetta and Montero.  As
soon as $$$ allow, I'll put one in my 2800 CS.  The battery in the Jetta is
now over 5 years old and going strong, the one in the Montero is about 4
years old, and the one in the GTV 3 years old.  Cold cranking is more than
sufficient for the relatively mild "cold" of the NW.  Both the Jetta and
Montero do service as ski cars, sitting all day long in the freezing temp
and snow of the ski area parking lot, and they fire up first try at the end
of the day.  The GTV spends a lot of time sitting in the garage, it has a
battery disconnect (the "green knob).  Not sure these batteries are really
any lighter than a lead/acid.  IMO, choosing a dry cell over a lead/acid for
a rust-prone hobby car is a no brainer, especially post-restoration -- do
you really want battery acid and corrosive fumes bathing your freshly
repaired body work?

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS