[no subject]

 The text below was copied form the new proposal for Californias Clean Air State Implementation Plan (see :  www.arb.ca.gov/sip/scsip03/scsip_03.htm  ).

Halt Rolling 30-year Exemption at pre-1974 Vehicles:  Originally, the Smog Check inspection program applied to all 1966 and newer gasoline vehicles.  In 1997, the State Legislature modified the Smog Check program to exempt pre-1974 vehicles, and beginning in January 2003, to exempt motor vehicles 30 or more model-years old.  Unfortunately, older vehicles contribute a disproportionate amount of emissions (despite their relatively low numbers and use) so excluding these older vehicles from the program reduced the effectiveness of the Smog Check program.  Eliminating the 30-year rolling exemption in order to keep all 1974 and newer vehicles in the program would achieve additional emission reductions in future years.  In addition, these vehicles would also be eligible for other BAR assistance programs such as vehicle retirement and repair assistance.  If legislation eliminating the 30-year rolling exemption were passed, this proposed Smog Check improvement option would apply to both the Basic and Enhanced Smog Check inspection program areas.

I suggest we all write letters to our elected officials to express our opposition to this revision of the 30 year rolling smog check exemption.  These idiots want to force old cars off of the roads and into assisted retirement, just so they can feel that they are doing their job.  In reality, 30 year old cars account for a minute fraction of the vehicle population, and in effect contribute nothing to the state pollution problems.

Peter

end.